Friday, January 7, 2011

Beating The Winter Blues

Bundling the kiddies up in hats, scarves, mittens and coats is not my idea of a fun time. From start to finish its a twenty minute process, and yes, that is my best time. By the time I am ready to walk out the door I am usually aggravated, sweating and snapping at Christopher. But once outside we settle down. Christopher is able to run and burn off energy. Lilly is constantly pointing, her way of initiating a conversation with me ("hey Ma, take to see that thing"). I am happy to get out into some cold crisp air. We play in the yard, usually kicking the ball around. I don't really know what to do with Lilly, she can't crawl or walk very well all bundled up, besides the ground is muddy and cold. So usually she sits in the stroller as I chase Christopher around the yard. By the way, I am actually pushing her in the stroller as I run like a mad woman across the yard. She loves it, but I can't help but wonder how funny this looks. After a bit we walk down the road to Christopher and Lilly's favorite spot: the stream. Christopher will toss in rocks and Lilly plays in the leaves. We play "I Spy" and do balancing tricks on beams. I realize I provide few props for Christopher when it comes to outside play, but he doesn't seem to mind. In fact it seems it helps foster a time for the imagination to grow. He just loves being outside. I have lure him back in with promises of hot cocoa. Getting in the house is just as nerve wracking as leaving it. Coats, hats, mittens are strewn across the floor. Muddy foot prints are tracked everywhere and someone is usually whining. But, it was all worth it.

Christopher prepares to throw a rock in the stream.

Me and my boy.


Nice snug and warm is Lilly.

Christopher really wanted to play in the snow that fell during his nap. I just didn't have it in me to bundle up Lilly and it was time for me to start dinner. So I sent Christopher out by himself and kept an eye on him through the door. Lilly especially liked watching him from inside the house. She kept yelling and banging on the glass.



Getting in from the cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment