Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Down Side Of Up

Our little baby inside my belly is still breech. I tried acupuncture. I tried hand stands in a pool. I tried a medical procedure in which two doctors barbarically manipulate my pregnant belly as I hollered in pain. Nothing has worked. This stubborn baby likes where it is. This baby will get an extra spanking when it arrives into the world. Unless the baby does a somersault over the next 12 days, I will be having a C-section on January 28th. I have listed the pros and cons over and over again. I think I am at peace with how things are unfolding. Not that I have a choice in the matter!

Three of my main concerns have been addressed anyway:

1. With C-section, I need to stay in the hospital 4-5 days. The old visitor policy stated "no children under 12, including siblings". This would be a long time to be away from Christopher. But last week they lifted the rule and he can come in to visit!

2. After delivering by cesarean, I was afraid that my next pregnancy would follow suit. But after talking with my doc, she assured me that the fact I had delivered naturally with the first pregnancy, odds were good that I could have a vaginal birth after a C-section.

3. Lifting restrictions after C-section. How am I to take care of Christopher after abdominal surgery? Well he and I have been practicing a "no lift policy" and its going well. The biggest dilemma was getting him in and out of the crib for naps. Well, I taught the little guy how to climb on a chair and hoist himself in and out, a la pole vault style. He loves doing it too.

So I feel prepared. Actually I want the baby here asap. I am ready to have my old body back! Not to mention I can't wait to snuggle into the softness that nothing but a newborn possesses.

4 comments:

  1. Love the new blog!!

    January 28th is a good day to have a baby. Everything will go great. I can't wait to meet the new little one!

    PS - Thanks for the gift card! You absolutely didn't have to do that! I'm happy to watch Christopher any time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kate,
    I had Ali by emergency C-Section and Jenny came natural all on her own (2 wks. early I might add)....try not to dwell on that too much. I realize it's hard, but just because this one is a possible c-section doesn't mean the rest will be. :) Praying for a safe delivery for all both of you no matter the method!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Debbie! I just think too much (I think). I am glad to know that VBACs are possible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Katie! Laura just told me about Lillian Paige's arrival. I love her name! I hope you recover quickly and have a great first few weeks with your new family of four!

    ReplyDelete