Monday, December 13, 2010

Christmas Time Is Here.... Family Drawing Near...

Last Sunday we braved the cold fierce winds to get our Christmas tree. Since Ryan and I have been married, we have been going to White Marsh Volunteer Fire Dept. to get our tree. It is sad to think this will probably be the last time. (I hope!)

Bundled up family.

Lilly: "Pick a tree, and lets get out of this cold!"

Christopher shares his hot cider with Lilly. He is such a caring big brother.


I can't help but feel that with each passing year, I am enjoying Christmas more than ever. This includes childhood Christmases. When I was a kid, I loved Christmas. But as with many experiences in childhood, the focus was misplaced. Of course, I couldn't wait for the big day and to see what gifts I was getting. As I have gotten older, I have shifted my view to settle down on the true meaning of Christmas; that is that God has given us a great gift. I love spending the final weeks of the year lamenting on what is most important to me: my family, my friends. I am so grateful for my children. I so enjoy sharing Christmas traditions with them. This year we started using a family advent wreath. Christopher loves lighting the candle and hearing me tell the story of Christ's birth. He loves adding a new link to the advent chain (thanks Mom). He is so focused on the true meaning of Christmas, that it is contagious. I find myself being less concerned with the holiday rat race and more at peace as I remember what Christmas truly is. It is funny how kids bring out the best in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment